The first English school in Aruba was opened in Seroe Colorado in September 1929. It was owned and operated by Lago Oil and Transport Co. Ltd. to provide for the schooling of the expatriates' children.
During the 1960s, the school also opened its doors to dependents of island residents on a tuition basis.
With the closing of Lago in 1985, the parents of the remaining students formed the International School of Aruba (ISA), a non-profit foundation, to ensure the continuation of English-language education on the island.
In March 2004, the Board of Directors passed the governance and ownership of ISA to International Schools Services (ISS), a not-for-profit organization of Princeton, New Jersey.
In September 2005, ISA celebrated the 75th anniversary of American international education in Aruba as well as the groundbreaking for the new campus.
As part of the transfer agreement, ISS promised to fund a new building. The school’s long-held wish came true with ISS financing the construction of a new campus. In August 2006, ISA moved to its new, more central location in the Wayaca Residence area. From this improved position, ISA aims to reach out to more of the island’s population. The school holds an annual Open Day, and reaches out in other ways via various community service projects.
After decades of excellent education in an area known as the Colony, a quiet environment overlooking azure waters at the far end of the island, our new location is more conveniently located to Aruba’s capital city, Oranjestad. We now gaze upon the nearby Hooiberg (a haystack-shaped mountain), an inspiration to reach for even greater heights in the programs we offer. We are excited about our new and enhanced facilities and continue to grow annually in our number of students.